The botanist bowl
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets
- 200 gram brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 gram green kale, stems discarded, shredded finely
- 1 medium avocado (250g), cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoon roasted almonds, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (50g) green kale leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (40g) roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup (20g) finely grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove (small) garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon spirulina
The botanist bowl
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Place stock, peppercorns and bay leaf in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken; if chicken is not covered in stock, add a little water. Bring to the boil; reduce heat to low, simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Cover pan, turn off heat; stand for 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, place brussels sprouts on tray, drizzle with half the oil; toss to coat. Turn sprouts cut-side up; season. Roast for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- 4Then, to make superfood pesto; process basil, kale, almonds, parmesan, juice and garlic until finely chopped. With motor operating, gradually add oil in a thin, steady stream; process until smooth. Stir in spirulina; season to taste.
- 5Place kale and remaining oil in a large bowl; season with sea salt. Using your hands, rub oil and salt into kale until kale softens.
- 6Remove chicken from the poaching liquid; shred coarsely.
- 7Divide kale between bowls; top with brussels sprouts, chicken, avocado, almonds and pesto.
Pesto can be made up to 4 days ahead. Store, tightly covered, in a small airtight container in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- 18 vegetarian lasagne recipesJul 22, 2021
- Very green veggie curryJul 21, 2021
- Spiced vegetable biryaniJul 21, 2021
- Cherry lattice pies for your pie makerJul 21, 2021
- Chicken and vegetable risottoJul 21, 2021