- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 30 grams butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500ml) buttermilk
- 3 egg whites
- soft butter or cooking oil spray, to grease
- 1Sift the flour and sugar into a large bowl.
- 2Whisk the egg yolks, butter, extract and buttermilk until combined.
- 3Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. It's important not to overbeat the mixture at this stage for a light and fluffy texture.
- 4Beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt in a clean small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Carefully fold the egg whites into batter, in two batches, until just combined.
- 5Cook over medium heat until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn pancakes and cook until lightly browned. Wipe out the pan with paper towel if the butter residue begins to burn. Transfer pancakes to a warm plate.
- 6Serve pancakes with toppings of your choice.
Thin and crispy grilled bacon with maple syrup.
Fresh berries with cranberry butter. To make the butter, combine 100g of softened butter with 2 tablespoons each of icing sugar and finely chopped dried cranberries.
Freshly roasted walnut halves, lemon wedges and sugar
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 24 sweet ways with bread and butter puddingJun 02, 2020
- Dark chocolate croissant puddingJun 02, 2020
- Jam roll puddingJun 02, 2020
- Hungarian goulashJun 02, 2020
- Tasty tagine recipesJun 02, 2020
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 02, 2020
- South-East Asian dinner recipesMay 31, 2020
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterMay 31, 2020
- Pineapple upside-down cakeMay 31, 2020
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesMay 31, 2020
- Custard tartMay 31, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 31, 2020
- Impossible pieMay 31, 2020
- Pumpkin sconesMay 31, 2020
- What food is in season in June?May 31, 2020