- dairy-free spread, for greasing
- 2 medium green apples (300g), grated coarsely
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup (60ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 2 cup (240g) ground almonds
- 2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 6 sugar bananas (780g), halved lengthways
- 2 teaspoon honey or pure maple syrup, extra
- 2 tablespoon flaked coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease six 6cm x 12cm loaf pans with a little dairy-free spread; line base and sides with baking paper.
- 2Combine apple, egg, almond milk, honey, extract and orange blossom water in a large bowl. Stir in ground almonds and baking powder until just combined.
- 3Spoon mixture into pans, smooth surface; top with banana halves, cut-side up, pressing them slightly into the batter. Drizzle with extra honey.
- 4Bake loaves for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve loaves warm topped with coconut.
When in season, you can also make these loaves with stone fruit such as small peaches, plums or apricots. Serve these loaves with a dollop of coconut yoghurt. These loaves are best made on the day of serving. This recipe does not contain any added refined sugar. It does include foods that naturally contain sugars such as bananas and honey, but no additional sugar is added in any form. Pure maple syrup, incidentally, contains significant amounts of nutrients and antioxidant compounds, and has a low GI.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chocolate browniesYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick-mix chewy choc-chip cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef rissoles and mashYesterday 1:00pm
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021