- dairy-free spread, for greasing
- 2 medium green apples (300g), grated coarsely
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup (60ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 2 cup (240g) ground almonds
- 2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 6 sugar bananas (780g), halved lengthways
- 2 teaspoon honey or pure maple syrup, extra
- 2 tablespoon flaked coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease six 6cm x 12cm loaf pans with a little dairy-free spread; line base and sides with baking paper.
- 2Combine apple, egg, almond milk, honey, extract and orange blossom water in a large bowl. Stir in ground almonds and baking powder until just combined.
- 3Spoon mixture into pans, smooth surface; top with banana halves, cut-side up, pressing them slightly into the batter. Drizzle with extra honey.
- 4Bake loaves for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve loaves warm topped with coconut.
When in season, you can also make these loaves with stone fruit such as small peaches, plums or apricots. Serve these loaves with a dollop of coconut yoghurt. These loaves are best made on the day of serving. This recipe does not contain any added refined sugar. It does include foods that naturally contain sugars such as bananas and honey, but no additional sugar is added in any form. Pure maple syrup, incidentally, contains significant amounts of nutrients and antioxidant compounds, and has a low GI.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019