- 2 340g packets butter cake mix
- 14 ready-made yellow and white sugar flowers
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 2 egg whites
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm x 34cm number 7 cake pan. Line base with baking paper.
- 2Make cakes according to directions on packets; pour mixture into pan. Bake about 45 minutes. Stand in pan 5 minutes before turning top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 3Using a serrated knife, level cake top; place cake, cut-side down on a 25cm x 40cm rectangular cake board, securing with a little frosting.
- 4Spread the remaining frosting all over cake. Using picture as a guide, position flowers on cake.
- 5In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water; stir with a wooden spoon over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Boil, uncovered, without stirring, about 3 to 5 minutes or until syrup is slightly thick. If a candy thermometer is available, the syrup will be ready when it reaches 114°C.
- 6Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff; keep beating (or whites will deflate) until syrup reaches the correct temperature.
- 7When syrup is ready, allow bubbles to subside then pour a very thin stream onto the egg whites with mixer operating on medium speed. If syrup is added too quickly to the egg whites, frosting will not thicken. Continue beating and adding syrup until all syrup is used. Continue to beat until frosting stands in stiff peaks (frosting should be barely warm by this stage).
To keep the glossy finish to the frosting, the cake needs to be frosted no longer than 1 hour before serving. The frosting soon dries out, resembling cooked meringue.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021