- 2 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 cup (600g) japanese mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon chinese five-spice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes, crushed
- 3 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 600 gram cleaned small squid (hoods and tentacles)
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly diagonally
- 2 fresh long red chillies, sliced thinly diagonally
- 4 limes, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1Make lime mayonnaise. Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Cover, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2Combine spices, salt and onion powder in a large bowl; reserve one-third of spice mixture. Add flours to remaining mixture; stir to combine.
- 3Cut each squid hood in half lengthways. Score inside in a criss-cross pattern with a sharp knife, then cut into 1.5cm wide strips.
- 4Fill a large wok one-third full with oil; heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Toss squid and tentacles in flour spice mix; shake away excess. Fry squid, in batches, for 2 minutes or until golden and just tender; drain on paper towel. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 5Fry onion and chilli for 2 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, remove from oil, add to bowl with squid; toss well to combine.
- 6Divide squid into ¼-cup serving cones. Sprinkle with reserved spice mix to serve; accompany with lime mayonnaise and lime wedges.
To clean squid, gently pull head and tentacles with internal sac away from body. Remove clear cartilage (quill) from inside body. Cut tentacles from head just below the eyes; discard head. Remove and discard side fins and skin from body with salted fingers. Wash the body and tentacles thoroughly; pat dry. Japanese mayonnaise, from Asian grocers and selected supermarkets, is made with rice vinegar and has a slightly different taste from regular mayonnaise, which may be substituted.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- 18 vegetarian lasagne recipesJul 22, 2021
- Very green veggie curryJul 21, 2021
- Spiced vegetable biryaniJul 21, 2021
- Cherry lattice pies for your pie makerJul 21, 2021
- Chicken and vegetable risottoJul 21, 2021