- 2 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 cup (600g) japanese mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon chinese five-spice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes, crushed
- 3 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 600 gram cleaned small squid (hoods and tentacles)
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly diagonally
- 2 fresh long red chillies, sliced thinly diagonally
- 4 limes, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1Make lime mayonnaise. Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Cover, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2Combine spices, salt and onion powder in a large bowl; reserve one-third of spice mixture. Add flours to remaining mixture; stir to combine.
- 3Cut each squid hood in half lengthways. Score inside in a criss-cross pattern with a sharp knife, then cut into 1.5cm wide strips.
- 4Fill a large wok one-third full with oil; heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Toss squid and tentacles in flour spice mix; shake away excess. Fry squid, in batches, for 2 minutes or until golden and just tender; drain on paper towel. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 5Fry onion and chilli for 2 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, remove from oil, add to bowl with squid; toss well to combine.
- 6Divide squid into ¼-cup serving cones. Sprinkle with reserved spice mix to serve; accompany with lime mayonnaise and lime wedges.
To clean squid, gently pull head and tentacles with internal sac away from body. Remove clear cartilage (quill) from inside body. Cut tentacles from head just below the eyes; discard head. Remove and discard side fins and skin from body with salted fingers. Wash the body and tentacles thoroughly; pat dry. Japanese mayonnaise, from Asian grocers and selected supermarkets, is made with rice vinegar and has a slightly different taste from regular mayonnaise, which may be substituted.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeAug 23, 2019
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019