- 1/3 cup (70g) black quinoa, rinsed
- 2/3 cup (160ml) cold water
- 1/3 cup (65g) couscous
- 1/3 cup (80ml) boiling water
- 1/3 cup (65g) barley
- 1/3 centimetre (65g) wholegrain greenwheat freekeh
- 1/3 cup (65g) brown rice
- 3 medium oranges (720g)
- 1 medium red apple (150g), unpeeled, sliced thinly
- 1 small red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 200 gram goat's feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (80g) brazil nuts, chopped coarsely
- 1Place quinoa and the cold water in a small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until most of the water is absorbed. Remove from heat; cover, stand for 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine couscous with the boiling water in a large heatproof bowl. Cover; stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, fluffing with a fork occasionally.
- 3Cook barley, freekeh and rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse under cold water, drain well.
- 4Remove rind from oranges with a zester (see tips). Cut the top and bottom from each orange. Cut off the white pith, following the curve of the fruit. Hold fruit over a bowl to catch the juices; cut down both sides of the white membrane to release each segment. Reserve juice.
- 5Place all grains, rind and orange segments in a large bowl with apple, onion and herbs; toss to combine. Season.
- 6Place oil and 2 tablespoons of the reserved juice in a screw-top jar; shake well. Season.
- 7Add dressing to salad with half the feta; toss gently to combine. Serve salad on a platter topped with brazil nuts and remaining feta.
If you don't have a zester to create thin strips of orange rind, simply peel long, wide pieces of rind from the oranges, without the white pith, then cut them lengthways into thin strips. The salad can be prepared ahead of time; add dressing just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- RatatouilleToday 6:11am
- Easter lunch recipesToday 12:43am
- Vegetarian eggplant recipesToday 12:20am
- Scone recipesYesterday 11:38pm
- PikeletsYesterday 6:00pm
- Delicious cornflake cookies and slicesYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage casseroleYesterday 2:00pm
- Irish soda bread rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten-free sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef bourguignon and potato pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Easter baking ideasYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 classic baking recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Easter carrot cake with spiced buttercream & caramel sauceYesterday 2:30am
- Melting momentsApr 06, 2020
- Easter bunny cakeApr 06, 2020