Fish chowder pies
- 40 gram butter
- 1 medium brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 rindless bacon rashers, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup (250 millilitres) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 millilitres) cream
- 2 small potatoes, cut into 1cm pieces
- 600 gram firm white fish fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 sheets puff pastry
Fish chowder pies
- 1In a large saucepan, melt butter; cook onion, garlic and bacon, stirring, until onion softens.
- 2Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually stir in combined milk and cream; bring to the boil. Add potato; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes. Add fish; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes; cool. Stir in chives.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Grease six-hole (¾-cup/ 180ml) texas muffin pan.
- 4Cut six 12cm rounds from shortcrust pastry; press into pan holes. Brush edges with a little of the egg. Spoon fish chowder into pastry cases.
- 5Cut six 9cm rounds from puff pastry; top chowder with puff pastry rounds. Press edges firmly to seal; brush tops with remaining egg. Cut a small slit in top of each pie.
- 6Bake pies about 25 minutes. Stand in pan 5 minutes before serving, top-side up, sprinkled with chopped fresh chives.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Baked caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm