Refreshing and tasty Vietnamese bahn mi rolls are a perfect workday lunch. For something a little bit different we used fish with pickled vegetables & spicy mayonnaise.
Fish banh mi
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 8 small flathead fillets (880g)
- 2 half baguettes (300g), ends trimmed, halved crossways
- 1 lebanese cucumber (130g), halved lengthways, seeded, sliced thinly
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
- 8 large fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs
- ½ cup (110g) white (granulated) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon coarse cooking (kosher) salt
- 1 medium carrot (120g), cut into matchsticks
- ¼ medium daikon (150g), cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cup (75g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons sriracha or other chilli sauce
- 1Make pickled vegetables and spicy mayonnaise.
- 2Heat oils in a large frying pan over high heat; cook fish for 2½ minutes each side or until just cooked through.
- 3Split baguettes in half horizontally. Spread mayonnaise over bases; top with fish, cucumber, green onion, pickled vegetables, chilli and coriander.
- 4Stir sugar, vinegar and salt in a small saucepan over low heat for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves; bring to the boil. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in carrot and daikon. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain.
- 5Combine ingredients in a small bowl; season to taste. Refrigerate until required.
Sriracha is a medium-hot chilli sauce available from Asian food stores and some major supermarkets.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Roast pork with apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 1:00pm
- Savoury apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- MayonnaiseYesterday 1:00pm
- 32 amazing ways with applesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 1:00pm
- Jerk chickensYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Ice blocks and popsicles to cool you downOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021