- 4 teaspoon (14g) dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) warm milk
- 4 cup (600g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 60 gram (2 ounces) butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1/4 cup (40g) dried currants
- 1/4 cup (20g) desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon caster(superfine)sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatine
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 10 gram (½ ounce) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon milk, approximately
- pink food colouring
- 1Grease two 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) lamington pans. Combine yeast, sugar and milk in small bowl. Cover; stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until frothy.
- 2Sift flour into large bowl, rub in butter. Stir in yeast mixture, egg and fruit; mix to a soft dough. Cover; stand in warm place about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F.
- 4Knead dough on floured surface about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 16 portions; shape into buns 15cm (6-inches) long. Place eight buns into each pan; cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap, stand in a warm place about 10 minutes or until buns are well risen.
- 5Bake buns 8 minutes; cover loosely with foil, bake a further 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 6For glaze, combine ingredients in small pan; stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar and gelatine have dissolved. Turn buns, top-side up, onto wire rack; brush with hot glaze, cool.
- 7For icing, sift icing sugar into small heatproof bowl, stir in butter and enough milk to make a firm paste; tint pink with colouring. Stir over hot water until spreadable. Spread icing over top of cold buns; sprinkle lightly with coconut.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019