- 6 egg whites
- 185 gram unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 fresh ripe figs, cut into wedges (you may need more for the loaves)
- 1/3 cup (25g) flaked almonds
- icing sugar, to dust
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease an 8-hole (¾ cup/180ml) mini loaf pan or a 12-hole (½-cup/125ml) oval friand pan.
- 2Whisk egg whites lightly in a medium bowl with a fork until combined. Add butter, sifted icing sugar, almond meal, flour, rind and juice; stir until combined. Divide mixture between pans. Divide fig wedges between tops of friands; sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- 3Bake friands for about 30 minutes for the loaves and 20 minutes for the ovals or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Serve dusted with a little extra sifted icing sugar.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic Christmas trifleToday 6:13am
- 24 last-minute dinner recipes for entertainingToday 12:13am
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 10:00pm
- White ChristmasYesterday 9:00pm
- How to make an easy gingerbread houseYesterday 8:00pm
- Meatloaf recipe - classicYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a towering pavlova Christmas treeYesterday 1:00pm
- Caesar saladYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make basic sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 1:00pm
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesNov 12, 2019
- Summer puddingNov 12, 2019
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasNov 10, 2019