- 6 egg whites
- 185 gram unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 fresh ripe figs, cut into wedges (you may need more for the loaves)
- 1/3 cup (25g) flaked almonds
- icing sugar, to dust
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease an 8-hole (¾ cup/180ml) mini loaf pan or a 12-hole (½-cup/125ml) oval friand pan.
- 2Whisk egg whites lightly in a medium bowl with a fork until combined. Add butter, sifted icing sugar, almond meal, flour, rind and juice; stir until combined. Divide mixture between pans. Divide fig wedges between tops of friands; sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- 3Bake friands for about 30 minutes for the loaves and 20 minutes for the ovals or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Serve dusted with a little extra sifted icing sugar.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Japanese chicken schnitzel toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Mulled wine pork with red cabbageYesterday 2:00pm
- Enchilada bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- 24 sour cream cakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Reuben jaffleYesterday 2:00pm
- Our 20 best tea cakes for your favourite cuppaYesterday 2:00pm
- 10 easy toastie recipes the whole family will enjoyYesterday 3:00am
- Easy combination fried riceJun 21, 2021
- Chocolate chip cookiesJun 21, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021