- 6 egg whites
- 185 gram unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 fresh ripe figs, cut into wedges (you may need more for the loaves)
- 1/3 cup (25g) flaked almonds
- icing sugar, to dust
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease an 8-hole (¾ cup/180ml) mini loaf pan or a 12-hole (½-cup/125ml) oval friand pan.
- 2Whisk egg whites lightly in a medium bowl with a fork until combined. Add butter, sifted icing sugar, almond meal, flour, rind and juice; stir until combined. Divide mixture between pans. Divide fig wedges between tops of friands; sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- 3Bake friands for about 30 minutes for the loaves and 20 minutes for the ovals or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Serve dusted with a little extra sifted icing sugar.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesJul 10, 2020
- Christmas in July recipesJul 10, 2020
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020