- 6 egg whites
- 185 gram unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 fresh ripe figs, cut into wedges (you may need more for the loaves)
- 1/3 cup (25g) flaked almonds
- icing sugar, to dust
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease an 8-hole (¾ cup/180ml) mini loaf pan or a 12-hole (½-cup/125ml) oval friand pan.
- 2Whisk egg whites lightly in a medium bowl with a fork until combined. Add butter, sifted icing sugar, almond meal, flour, rind and juice; stir until combined. Divide mixture between pans. Divide fig wedges between tops of friands; sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- 3Bake friands for about 30 minutes for the loaves and 20 minutes for the ovals or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Serve dusted with a little extra sifted icing sugar.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019