Create this simple dessert with five ingredients plus staples. Rich and chocolate-y with soft, fruity figs and a sweet chocolate butterscotch sauce.
Looking for more five ingredient desserts?
- 250 grams soft dried figs (see tip)
- 400 grams dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
- 3 cups (750ml) butterscotch ice-cream
- 125 grams unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 20cm square cake pan with butter; line base with baking paper.
- 2Remove and discard hard tops from figs; coarsely chop figs.
Break chocolate into squares; cut butter into cubes.
- 3Place 200g chocolate, the butter and sugar in a large heatproof bowl over a large saucepan of simmering water (don't allow bowl to touch the water); stir until melted. Cool. Reserve pan of water.
- 4Whisk eggs into chocolate mixture until combined. Fold flour and salt through mixture until just combined; fold in figs until just combined. Pour mixture into cake pan.
- 5Bake for 25 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out with moist crumbs attached. Leave in pan for 5 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, for chocolate sauce, return reserved pan of water to low-medium heat until simmering. Place 150g of the remaining chocolate in a large heatproof bowl with 1 cup of the ice-cream; place bowl over pan of simmering water, then stir until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from pan. Finely grate remaining chocolate.
- 7Cut brownie into nine squares; drizzle with chocolate sauce and sprinkle with grated chocolate. Serve with remaining ice-cream.
Use vanilla bean or chocolate ice-cream instead of butterscotch ice-cream.Soft juicy figs are just dried figs that are not as hard as traditional dried figs.Make it six - Serve brownies topped with roasted walnuts, almonds
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021