Fig mince pies
- 150 gram (4½ ounces) dried figs, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (65g) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (75g) raisins, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup (40g) mixed peel
- 1/4 cup (55g) glacé ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60g) glacé peach, finely chopped
- 1 medium_piece (150g) apple, peeled, grated
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon fig jam
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, finely grated
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) brandy
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 (sheets) shortcrust pastry
- 2 cup (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 150 gram (4½ ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
Fig mince pies
- 1Combine fruit, sugar, jam, rind, juice, spices and brandy in medium bowl. Cover, stand at room temperature for one week or up to a month, stirring mixture every two or three days.
- 2Make pastry. Process flour, sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg, process until combined. Knead pastry on floured surface until smooth. Cover, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Grease two 12-hole (2-tablespoon/40ml) deep flat-based patty pans. Divide pastry in half, roll one portion of dough between sheets of baking paper to 3mm (¹/8-inch) thickness; cut 12 x 7cm (2¾-inch) rounds from pastry. Repeat with remaining pastry. Press rounds into pan holes; prick bases all over with fork. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 5Cut whole shortcrust pastry sheet into 16 squares, cut each square into six strips. Cut the half pastry sheet into eight squares, cut each square into six strips.
- 6Use six strips to make a lattice pattern. Cut a 6.5cm (2¾-inch) round from latticed pastry. Repeat with remaining pastry strips.
- 7Discard cinnamon stick from fruit mince, spoon fruit mince into pastry cases; top with lattice pastry rounds. Press edges to seal; brush pastry with egg white.
- 8Bake pies about 20 minutes. Dust with a little sifted icing (confectioners') sugar before serving, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Stunning smoked salmon recipesToday 1:00pm
- Sensational summer dessertsToday 1:00pm
- Pumpkin pieToday 1:00pm
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Salmon gravlax platterYesterday 1:00pm
- Gluten-free and dairy-free steamed puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect barbecue prawnsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spiced pumpkin pies with honey & nutsYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky chicken wings with dipping sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Cherry tomato and goats cheese bruschettaYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best bruschetta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Garlic breadNov 24, 2020
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 23, 2020
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesNov 23, 2020
- Garlic beef stir-fryNov 23, 2020