- 10 centimetre round cutter
- 5 x 350ml clear jars
- 460 gram packet double unfilled sponge cake rounds
- 1/2 cup (150g) ready-made vanilla frosting
- 3 x 85g packets create-a-jelly crystals
- blue food colouring
- lime essence
- 600 gram ready-made white icing
- pure icing (confectioners') sugar, for dusting
- apricot jam, warmed
- 250 gram fresh strawberries
- 3 soft eating licorice, sliced thinly
- 2 kiwifruit
- 30 gram white chocolate melts
- non-toxic edible black pen
- 1Process cake into crumbs. Combine crumbs and frosting in a large bowl; roll 2 teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls. Place on an oven tray, loosely cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- 2Knead ready-made icing on a surface dusted with icing sugar until icing loses its stickiness. Roll icing on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar until 3mm thick. Brush cake balls with jam. Using cutter, cut rounds from icing; wrap each round around a cake ball, pinching ends to seal. Stand, uncovered, for 4 hours for icing to dry.
- 3Slice strawberries into 2cm rounds, about 3mm thick. Using a sharp knife, discard centre of strawberry pieces; place strawberries on paper towel to remove excess moisture. Place a piece of licorice in centre of each strawberry, trimming if necessary. Repeat with kiwifruit.
- 4Melt chocolate. Secure strawberry and kiwifruit to eyeballs with a little melted chocolate. Using picture as a guide, draw lines on eyeballs with black pen.
- 5Meanwhile, make jelly following packet directions; tint pale blue. Add a few drops of lime essence. Divide jelly between jars. Refrigerate 1½ hours or until partially set.
- 6Push eyeballs into partially set jelly. Refrigerate until jelly is completely set.
This recipe makes 15 eyeballs and 3 litres of jelly. Eyeballs can be made 2 days ahead. Store at room temperature. Assemble eyeballs in jars on day of serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeToday 6:38am
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019
- Christmas in July recipesJul 13, 2019
- Classic sconesJul 12, 2019
- RatatouilleJul 11, 2019
- 12 tantalising tiramisu recipesJul 11, 2019
- Rabbit stifadoJul 11, 2019
- Rhubarb crumbleJul 10, 2019
- Leftover stroganoff baguetteJul 10, 2019
- Mulled wineJul 09, 2019
- Avocado toast with fennel sauerkrautJul 08, 2019
- Chilli con carneJul 03, 2019
- Apple pieJul 03, 2019