- 2 x 340 gram packets buttercake mix
- 30 centimetre x 48cm prepared rectangular board
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) white chocolate melts, melted
- 8 killer pythons
- 85 gram packet blackcurrant jelly crystals
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) desiccated coconut
- purple colouring
- 1 black liquorice strap
- 3 white chocolate melts, extra
- 2 green smarties
Butter cream frosting
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 3 cup (480 grams) icing sugar
- 4 tablespoon milk
- purple and aqua colouring
- 1Preheat oven to moderate; grease and line two 20cm ring pans. Make cakes according to directions on packets, divide mixture between pans; bake in moderate oven about 35 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes; turn onto wire racks to cool. Using serrated knife, level cake tops so they are the same height.
- 2Meanwhile, trace two 3cm x 4cm eyes on a sheet of baking paper; turn paper over so outlines are underneath. Place melted chocolate in piping bag. Pipe eyes onto baking paper, as shown; refrigerate until set.
- 3Make butter cream: In a small bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until as white as possible; beat in sifted icing sugar and milk in two batches.
- 4Turn cakes cut-side down. Trim a shallow arc from one cake so the two cakes fit neatly together in a figure 8. Assemble cake pieces on prepared board, cut-side down; remaining cake.
- 5Reserve about 1 tsp of butter cream. Tint half the remaining butter cream with purple colouring; spread over top and side of head. Tint remaining butter cream with aqua colouring; spread over top and side of remaining cake.
- 6Position Pythons around octopus chin, pressing gently into butter cream.
- 7Combine jelly crystals, coconut and purple colouring in small plastic bag; rub until mixture is evenly coloured. Sprinkle mixture over face and top of tentacles.
- 8Cut liquorice into thin strips; outline mouth around hole in centre of head. Position extra Melts for teeth. Position eyes on head; position Smarties for pupils, using a little of the reserved butter cream.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021