- 2/3 cup (160ml) olive oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cup (560g) bottled tomato passata
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 medium (600g), eggplants, sliced thickly
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) bocconcini, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup (50g) parmesan finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add garlic, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, passata and chilli, season to taste. Transfer mixture to a medium jug.
- 3Toss eggplant in flour to coat, shake off excess. Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook eggplant, in batches, until browned on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
- 4Layer half the eggplant in a 18cm x 25cm (7¼-inch x 10-inch) ovenproof dish, season. Top with half the tomato mixture, basil and bocconcini. Repeat layering, finishing with parmesan. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 5Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover, bake further 15 minutes or until browned and tender.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best homemade sausage rollsToday 1:00pm
- Fruit mince piesToday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleToday 6:13am
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingToday 1:58am
- Basic sausage rollsToday 1:00am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 12:50am
- Pumpkin, spinach and fetta frittataYesterday 11:00pm
- Spinach dip cob loafYesterday 11:00pm
- Quiche LorraineYesterday 10:55pm
- Chana dhal with chutney yoghurtYesterday 10:26pm
- How to cook lamb backstrapYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemonade sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic steamed Christmas puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- FlorentinesYesterday 1:00pm
- Lobster mornayYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsYesterday 1:00pm