- 2/3 cup (160ml) olive oil
- 1 medium_piece (150g) brown onion, chopped coarsley
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cup (560g) bottled tomato passata
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 medium_piece (600g), eggplants, sliced thickly
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) bocconcini, slicked thinly
- 2/3 cup (50g) parmesan finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon swet paprika
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add garlic, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, passata and chilli, season to taste. Transfer mixture to a medium jug.
- 3Toss eggplant in flour to coat, shake off excess. Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook eggplant, in batches, until browned on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
- 4Layer half the eggplant in a 18cm x 25cm (7¼-inch x 10-inch) ovenproof dish, season. Top with half the tomato mixture, basil and bocconcini. Repeat layering, finishing with parmesan. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 5Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover, bake further 15 minutes or until browned and tender.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019
- Fettuccine carbonaraSep 05, 2019
- Easy four-cheese pieSep 05, 2019
- Sandwich ideas that are a little bit fancySep 05, 2019