- 2/3 cup (160ml) olive oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cup (560g) bottled tomato passata
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 medium (600g), eggplants, sliced thickly
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) bocconcini, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup (50g) parmesan finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add garlic, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, passata and chilli, season to taste. Transfer mixture to a medium jug.
- 3Toss eggplant in flour to coat, shake off excess. Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook eggplant, in batches, until browned on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
- 4Layer half the eggplant in a 18cm x 25cm (7¼-inch x 10-inch) ovenproof dish, season. Top with half the tomato mixture, basil and bocconcini. Repeat layering, finishing with parmesan. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 5Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover, bake further 15 minutes or until browned and tender.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best Italian recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 29 American-style diner recipes for weekend entertainingYesterday 6:23am
- Cinnamon doughnutsYesterday 4:17am
- Chicken cacciatoreYesterday 3:00am
- Chilli jamYesterday 2:14am
- Garlic breadYesterday 1:00am
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allYesterday 12:51am
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeYesterday 12:39am
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJan 18, 2022
- Quinoa zucchini haloumi burgersJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate fudge browniesJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate hazelnut sliceJan 18, 2022
- BaklavaJan 18, 2022
- Baker's dozen homemade croissantsJan 18, 2022
- Cauliflower mac 'n' cheeseJan 18, 2022