It's a great all in one meat and three veg dish that will have the hungry hoards flocking to the dinner table.
Eggplant bolognese bake
- 2 eggplants (600g)
- 200 gram baby spinach leaves
- 150 gram ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup (50g) coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup (25g) coarsely grated parmesan cheese bolognese sauce
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (200g), chopped coarsely
- 1 red capsicum (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 green capsicum (150g), chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 250 gram beef mince
- 1 egg tomato (90g), chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry red wine
- 400 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 100 gram baby rocket leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Eggplant bolognese bake
- 1For bolognese sauce, heat oil in medium frying pan; cook onion, capsicums and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add mince to pan; cook, stirring, until mince changes colour. Add chopped tomato and tomato paste; cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in wine and undrained tomatoes; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat; stir in herbs.
- 2Meanwhile, cut eggplants into 2mm slices; cook on heated oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) until just tender.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- 4Boil, steam or microwave spinach until wilted; drain. Cool 10 minutes; using hands, squeeze as much liquid as possible from spinach. Combine spinach, ricotta and egg white in medium bowl.
- 5Spread 1 cup of the sauce over base of shallow 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish. Top with half of the eggplant, then half of the spinach mixture, then another cup of sauce, remaining eggplant and remaining spinach mixture. Spread remaining sauce over the top then sprinkle with combined mozzarella and parmesan.
- 6Bake bolognese bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until top browns lightly. Stand 10 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, for rocket salad, place rocket and basil in medium bowl with combined vinegar and oil; toss gently to combine.
- 8Divide bolognese bake among serving plates; serve with rocket salad.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021