Eccles mince pies
- 7 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup (150g) raisins
- 1 cup (160g) dried currants
- 1 cup (160g) sultanas
- 1 slice (35g) dried pineapple
- 2 tablespoon glacé cherries
- 1/4 cup (40g) blanched almonds
- 1 apple (200g), grated
- 1/2 cup (110g) lightly packed light brown sugar
- 50 gram butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
Eccles mince pies
- 1Make fruit mince. Process dried fruit and nuts until coarsely chopped. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 days, stirring daily.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Line three oven trays with baking paper.
- 3Cut each pastry sheet into nine squares. Top each with heaped teaspoons of mince; brush pastry edges with egg white. Gather sides of pastry together to encase filling; turn pies upside down onto trays. Gently flatten pies; cut two slits in top of pies. Brush pies with egg white; sprinkle with sugar.
- 4Bake pies 15 minutes or until golden brown. fruit mince Process dried fruit and nuts until coarsely chopped. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 days, stirring daily.
Fruit mince will keep for at least a year in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The flavours will intensify the longer it is left before using. This recipe makes 3½ cups. You can also use ready-made fruit mince if you're running out of time.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Stunning smoked salmon recipesToday 1:00pm
- Super-moist rich fruit cakeToday 1:00pm
- Sensational summer dessertsToday 1:00pm
- Pumpkin pieToday 1:00pm
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Gluten-free and dairy-free steamed puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Salmon gravlax platterYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best bruschetta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Spiced pumpkin pies with honey & nutsYesterday 1:00pm
- Cherry tomato and goats cheese bruschettaYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky chicken wings with dipping sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect barbecue prawnsYesterday 1:00pm
- Garlic breadNov 24, 2020
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 23, 2020
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesNov 23, 2020