- 3 eggplants, 1cm thick lengthways slices
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 gram minced lamb
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 700 millilitre bottled tomato passata
- 2 tablespoon thyme leaves, plus 2 teaspoons extra
- 490 gram tub bechamel sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- salad, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Brush eggplant with oil and season to taste. Arrange in a single layer on trays. Bake for 8-10 minutes until tender golden, turning halfway.
- 3Meanwhile, in large frypan, heat extra oil on medium. Saute onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, until tender.
- 4Increase heat to high. Add mince and brown for 4-5 minutes, breaking up lumps. Stir in cinnamon and cook for 1 minute. Pour in wine and bring to boil. Mix in passata and thyme and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- 5Arrange one-third of eggplant over the base of a 3 litre casserole dish. Cover with half mince mixture. Repeat layers, finishing with eggplant. Pour over béchamel. Sprinkle with combined crumbs, parmesan and extra thyme.
- 6Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve with side salad.
This freezes very well – make a double portion and have one ready for a meal another day. If you don’t like eggplant, use sliced zucchini instead – you will need about 6.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019
- Fettuccine carbonaraSep 05, 2019
- Easy four-cheese pieSep 05, 2019
- Sandwich ideas that are a little bit fancySep 05, 2019