Easy Danish pastries
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks, plus 1 egg extra, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed, quartered into squares
- 415 gram can apricot halves, drained
- 415 gram can pitted cherries, drained
- 4 cup apricot jam, warmed
Easy Danish pastries
- 1In a medium saucepan, combine milk, half sugar and vanilla. Stir over medium heat until boiling point is reached (do not boil).
- 2In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk egg yolks, remaining sugar and cornflour together.
- 3Pour hot milk into egg mixture in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly.
- 4Return mixture to a clean saucepan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, 5-6 minutes, until mixture boils and becomes thick (dropping consistency). Remove from heat. Cover surface with plastic wrap; cool.
- 5Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- 6Spread 1 tablespoon custard diagonally across each pastry square. Place two apricot halves or cherries on custard. Join opposite corners, overlapping in centre.
- 7Arrange on trays; brush with extra beaten egg. Bake 12-15 minutes. until crisp and golden. Brush with jam while hot.
- 8Serve warm or cold.
Cornflour stabilises the custard so it won't split over high heat.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeToday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 10:21pm
- Baked cauliflowerYesterday 2:00pm
- Sensational sweet tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect panna cotta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021