Our version of the South American Caramel sauce uses coconut cream to make a decadent vegan alternative. Use as a topping for vegan ice-cream, blended with nut milk for a caramel milkshake or drizzled over our Banoffee pie.
- 800 ml coconut cream
- 4 cups (640g) coconut sugar
- 1Combine coconut cream and coconut sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves; bring to a simmer.
- 2Simmer, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes or until it thickens to a caramel consistency. Pour into sterilised jars; seal. Cool. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Popcorn dulce de leche
- 3Make dulce de leche; cool slightly. Stir in 1 cup (15g) coarsely chopped salted popcorn.
Orange & hazelnut dulce de leche
- 4Make dulce de leche. While still warm, stir in 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind and ½ cup (70g) coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- 18 vegetarian lasagne recipesJul 22, 2021
- Very green veggie curryJul 21, 2021
- Spiced vegetable biryaniJul 21, 2021
- Cherry lattice pies for your pie makerJul 21, 2021
- Chicken and vegetable risottoJul 21, 2021