Our version of the South American Caramel sauce uses coconut cream to make a decadent vegan alternative. Use as a topping for vegan ice-cream, blended with nut milk for a caramel milkshake or drizzled over our Banoffee pie.
- 800 ml coconut cream
- 4 cups (640g) coconut sugar
- 1Combine coconut cream and coconut sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves; bring to a simmer.
- 2Simmer, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes or until it thickens to a caramel consistency. Pour into sterilised jars; seal. Cool. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Popcorn dulce de leche
- 3Make dulce de leche; cool slightly. Stir in 1 cup (15g) coarsely chopped salted popcorn.
Orange & hazelnut dulce de leche
- 4Make dulce de leche. While still warm, stir in 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind and ½ cup (70g) coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021