Our version of the South American Caramel sauce uses coconut cream to make a decadent vegan alternative. Use as a topping for vegan ice-cream, blended with nut milk for a caramel milkshake or drizzled over our Banoffee pie.
- 800 ml coconut cream
- 4 cups (640g) coconut sugar
- 1Combine coconut cream and coconut sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves; bring to a simmer.
- 2Simmer, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes or until it thickens to a caramel consistency. Pour into sterilised jars; seal. Cool. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Popcorn dulce de leche
- 3Make dulce de leche; cool slightly. Stir in 1 cup (15g) coarsely chopped salted popcorn.
Orange & hazelnut dulce de leche
- 4Make dulce de leche. While still warm, stir in 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind and ½ cup (70g) coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021