- 1.8 kilogram whole duck
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 fresh small red thai chillies, chopped coarsely
- 3 clove garlic, quartered
- 2.5 centimetre piece fresh ginger (15g), sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup (80ml) white vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1 red onion (170g), chopped finely
- 4 potatoes (800g), chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon chicken gravy powder
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Rinse duck under cold water; pat dry. Cut duck into six serving-sized pieces. Toss duck in flour, shake off excess. Heat oil in large frying pan; cook duck, in batches, until browned. Transfer to 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 2Meanwhile, dry-fry spices in small frying pan until fragrant; cool. Blend or process spices, chilli, garlic, ginger and vinegar until smooth.
- 3Stir spice mixture into cooker with stock, onion and potato. Cook, covered, on low, 6 hours. Season to taste.
- 4Transfer duck and potato to serving plate. Skim excess fat from sauce. Stir combined gravy powder and the water into sauce in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high, about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- 5Drizzle sauce over duck; sprinkle with coriander.
This is a mild vindaloo. If you like it hotter, add more fresh chillies when you make the paste.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021