- 6 duck breast fillets
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 small raddichio
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Sticky orange sauce
- 5 medium oranges
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup orange-flavoured liqueur
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Duck breast in sticky orange sauce
- 1Make caramelised fennel oranges: Peel and thickly slice three of the oranges; place in heatproof bowl. Remove the rind from one of the remaining oranges with a zester. Squeeze the remaining oranges; you will need ½ cup juice. Stir sugar, seeds and the water in small saucepan, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, without stirring, until syrup starts to caramelise. Add rind, juice and liqueur to pan. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until rind softens; remove from heat. Add vinegar; pour over oranges in bowl. Cool 10 minutes.
- 2Season duck. Cook duck, skin-side down, on heated grill plate (or grill or barbecue) over high heat about 5 minutes or until skin is crisp. Turn duck, cook a further 5 minutes or until duck is almost cooked through. Transfer to plate; cover, stand 5 minutes.
- 3Reserve fennel fronds. Slice fennel finely on a V-slicer or mandoline. Combine fennel, fronds and radicchio leaves in medium bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons orange syrup from caramelised fennel oranges then combined oil and vinegar; season to taste.
- 4Serve duck and fennel salad with warm caramelised fennel oranges and sticky sauce.
This recipe also works well for chicken breast.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021