Duck and mushroom pie
- 3 large_piece (600g) duck breasts
- 2 slice (130) grindless bacon), sliced thinly
- 1 medium_piece (120g) carrot, chopped finely
- 1 (150g) stalk celery, trimmed, chopped finely
- 1 medium_piece (350g) leek, sliced thinly
- 2 fresh rosemary stalks
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) red wine
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) chicken stock
- 50 gram (1½ ounces) butter
- 150 gram (4½ ounces) oyster mushrooms, chopped coarsely
- 100 gram (3 ounces) wood ear mushrooms, chopped coarsely
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) swiss brown mushrooms, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 (sheet) butter puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
Duck and mushroom pie
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- 2Heat a heavy-based flameproof baking dish over high heat until almost smoking. Season duck, place in dish, skin-side down. Cook 2 minutes or until skin is crisp, turn, cook until browned. Remove from dish.
- 3Add bacon to same dish, cook, stirring, until crisp. Add carrot, celery and leek, cook, stirring, until softened. Return duck to dish with rosemary and bay leaves. Add wine, bring to the boil. Add stock, return to the boil. Cover, bake 1½ hours or until duck meat shreds easily with a folk. Discard herbs. Shred duck.
- 4Increase oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 5Meanwhile, heat butter in a large frying pan over high heat, cook mushrooms, stirring, until golden.
- 6Transfer baking dish from oven to high heat, stir in mushrooms and shredded duck. Blend flour with a little of the cooking liquid in a small bowl until smooth, stir into dish until mixture boils and thickens. Spoon mixture into a deep 2-litre (8-cup) pie dish, cool slightly.
- 7Cut pastry to fit pie dish, crimp edge with your fingers or a fork to seal. Brush pastry with egg.
- 8Bake pie for 15 minutes until pastry is browned.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021