Duck a l’orange
- 2.2 kilogram whole duck
- 1/4 cup sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 25 gram french butter
- 1/2 cup orange flavoured liqueur
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
- 1 orange, sliced
- 3/4 cup french orange jam or orange marmalade
- 125 gram cold french butter, chopped
- orange slices and thyme, to decorate
- french beans and finely chopped eschalots, to serve
Duck a l’orange
- 1Preheat oven at 160°C/140°C fan-forced.
- 2Wash clean and pat duck dry. Place salt and pepper into pestle and mortar and grind. Rub duck all over with combined salt and pepper.
- 3Heat oil in a large heavy-based ovenproof dish over a medium heat. Cook duck until browned all over. Remove duck and set aside.
- 4Stir butter, liqueur, orange juice and vinegar into dish with juices and stir over a low heat until butter has melted.
- 5Remove from heat, return duck to dish and layer orange slices over duck. Cover and cook for 2 hours or until meat is tender and cooked through.
- 6Gently remove duck and place onto a serving plate breast side up, layer over orange slices and cover to keep warm.
- 7Tilt dish slightly and ladle off most of the duck fat sitting on top of juices (about 1/2 cup). Strain remaining juices into a medium saucepan and whisk in jam until smooth.
- 8Bring to the boil, and cook for about 5-10 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in cold butter. Pour over duck. Serve with vegetables of your choice.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021