Double-decker mud cake
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 150 gram white eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 2 cup (440g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 600 gram milk eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
Double-decker mud cake
- 1Preheat oven to slow (150°C/130°C fan-forced). Grease two deep 20cm-round cake pans; line bases and sides with baking paper.
- 2Combine butter, white chocolate, sugar and milk in medium saucepan; stir over heat, without boiling, until smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool 15 minutes.
- 3Whisk sifted flours into white chocolate mixture then whisk in essence and egg; pour half of the mixture into one of the prepared pans. Whisk sifted cocoa into remaining mixture; pour into other prepared pan. Bake cakes, uncovered, about 50 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 5 minutes; turn cakes, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 4Combine milk chocolate and cream in medium saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl. Cover; refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until chocolate mixture is of spreadable consistency. Reserve 1 cup of the chocolate mixture for spreading over cake.
- 5Split each cooled cake in half. Centre one layer of cake on serving plate; spread with ½ cup of the remaining milk chocolate mixture. Repeat layering, alternating colours. Cover top and sides of cake with reserved chocolate mixture.
You can also melt the milk chocolate and cream in a microwave oven; cook on HIGH (100%) about 90 seconds, pausing to stir every 30 seconds.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Blueberry muffinsToday 1:00pm
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy vanilla cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Sensational spring dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- Chocolate slab cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Almond friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Gingerbread peopleYesterday 1:00pm
- Oven temperature conversionsYesterday 4:43am
- Allergy-friendly fruit mince tartsOct 27, 2020
- Mango recipes for dessertOct 27, 2020
- Char kway teowOct 27, 2020
- Chicken schnitzelOct 27, 2020
- Sweet curried sausagesOct 27, 2020
- Roast pumpkin, feta and chickpea saladOct 27, 2020
- Fruit mince pies and treats for ChristmasOct 27, 2020
- EggnogOct 27, 2020