- 1 cup (195g) white long-grain rice
- 1/3 cup (65g) black lentils (urad dhal)
- 2 tablespoons yellow split peas
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (280g) kefir yoghurt or Greek-style yoghurt
- lemon wedges, to serve
Green chilli potatoes
- 1 kilogram (2lb) desiree potatoes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 4 stems fresh curry leaves
- 1 medium onion (150g), halved, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
Make dosa batter the day before:
- 1To start making dosas, rinse rice, lentils and split peas in a sieve under cold running water until water runs clear; place in a large bowl. Cover generously with water; stand, covered, at room temperature overnight.
- 2Strain rice mixture through a fine sieve. Blend drained rice mixture and 1¼ cups (310ml) water until a slightly thick, grainy batter forms. Transfer to a large bowl. Stand, covered, at room temperature for 4 hours.
Start green chilli potatoes 40 minutes before serving:
- 3potatoes Boil or microwave potatoes until just tender; cool. Peel; cut into large cubes.
- 4Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook curry leaves for 30 seconds or until crisp; transfer to paper towel to drain. Add onion to pan; cook for 3 minutes. Add cumin and mustard seeds; cook for 1 minute or until seeds crackle. Add turmeric, garlic, cooled potato and chilli; cook, stirring gently, for 5 minutes or until potato is golden and warmed through. Stir in coriander.
Cook and assemble dosa with green chilli potatoes:
- 5Stir salt, sugar, cumin and turmeric into dosa batter.
- 6Heat a 15cm (6in) non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan lightly with some of the oil. Pour ⅓ cup (80ml) batter into centre of pan. Immediately, and in a circular motion, spread batter from centre towards the edge of the pan to create a thin pancake. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil around the edge and on surface of dosa. Cook for 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Slide a spatula around edge of dosa and fold in half; slide onto a plate.
- 7Repeat with remaining batter and oil to make 12 dosas in total.
- 8Fill dosas with green chilli potatoes and top with yoghurt. Serve with lemon wedges.
To make this vegan, omit the yoghurt or use coconut yoghurt.
Instead of making your own dosas, serve with store-bought dosas.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Lamington popsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020