- 500 millilitre vanilla ice-cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sifted plain flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 150 gram finely crushed digestive biscuits
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- sliced fresh fruits of choice, to serve
- 1Line a tray with baking paper and place in freezer until cold. Using a large ice-cream scoop, form 6 large, round balls from vanilla ice-cream and place on tray in freezer. Freeze at least 30 minutes, until very firm.
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, flour, milk and sugar together until smooth. In a large bowl, combine biscuits, breadcrumbs and coconut.
- 3Working quickly, coat ice-cream balls in batter, then roll in crumbs. Return to freezer for 30 minutes, until firm.
- 4Repeat with a second layer of batter and crumb mixture, ensuring balls are completely coated in crumbs. Return to freezer for 1 hour or overnight, until very firm.
- 5When ready to cook, heat oil in a wok or large saucepan on medium until a few breadcrumbs sizzle as soon as they are added (160°C). Fry ice-cream balls in 2 batches, 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Serve straight away with sliced fruits.
Start making this recipe at least 4 hours ahead or the day before, to ensure ice-cream is frozen solid before frying.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsApr 18, 2019
- Easter bunny cakeApr 17, 2019
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019