- 1 cup (240g) fresh unpitted dates
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon rosewater, approximately (see tip)
- 1Place a couple of saucers in the freezer to chill. Place dates in a medium bowl. Pour over the boiling water; set aside for 10 minutes to soften. Blend or process dates and soaking water until smooth.
- 2Combine date mixture, pomegranate juice, lemon juice and sugar in a large saucepan. Stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; reduce heat, simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1¼ hours or until thick and syrupy.
- 3To test the thickness of the syrup, drop a tablespoon of the syrup onto a chilled saucer, wait a couple of minutes until cooled. If it is not thick enough, continue cooking and repeat testing.
- 4Stir in rosewater. Pour hot syrup into a hot sterilised bottle; seal immediately. Label and date bottle when cold. Refrigerate after opening.
Rosewater varies in strength between brands. Taste the syrup with 1 tablespoon rosewater and adjust with a further teaspoon or more if you like. Try with meat dishes for basting or creating a quick sauce from the cooking pan, or drizzled over roasted root vegetables. Try this as a sweet and sour syrup in salad dressings, marinades and drinks. You can also use it as a marinade for sticky lamb cutlets and sausages.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021