- 1 cup (240g) fresh unpitted dates
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon rosewater, approximately (see tip)
- 1Place a couple of saucers in the freezer to chill. Place dates in a medium bowl. Pour over the boiling water; set aside for 10 minutes to soften. Blend or process dates and soaking water until smooth.
- 2Combine date mixture, pomegranate juice, lemon juice and sugar in a large saucepan. Stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; reduce heat, simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1¼ hours or until thick and syrupy.
- 3To test the thickness of the syrup, drop a tablespoon of the syrup onto a chilled saucer, wait a couple of minutes until cooled. If it is not thick enough, continue cooking and repeat testing.
- 4Stir in rosewater. Pour hot syrup into a hot sterilised bottle; seal immediately. Label and date bottle when cold. Refrigerate after opening.
Rosewater varies in strength between brands. Taste the syrup with 1 tablespoon rosewater and adjust with a further teaspoon or more if you like. Try with meat dishes for basting or creating a quick sauce from the cooking pan, or drizzled over roasted root vegetables. Try this as a sweet and sour syrup in salad dressings, marinades and drinks. You can also use it as a marinade for sticky lamb cutlets and sausages.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- Easy vanilla cupcakesMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021
- Mexican rice bowlMay 13, 2021
- Chocolate mud cake with white chocolate ganacheMay 13, 2021
- Citrus hazelnut bread twistMay 13, 2021
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeMay 13, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Chocolate mud cakeMay 13, 2021
- Beef pad see ewMay 13, 2021
- White chocolate and raspberry mud cakeMay 13, 2021
- 20 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 13, 2021
- Self-saucing pudding recipesMay 13, 2021