- 1 cup almonds, cashews, hazelnuts or pecans
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 25 centimetre piece muslin
- 1Place nuts in a large bowl; cover with cold water. Stand, covered for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2Drain; rinse nuts under cold water. Drain well. Process nuts with the water until smooth.
- 3Place a medium sieve over a medium bowl; line with muslin. Strain milk through muslin. Place milk into a glass jar and refrigerate.
Save nut pulp, dry it out in a slow oven, and use for cereal toppings or add to curries and pastes. Using blanched almonds will create a whiter-coloured milk. Using a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, will create a smoother-textured milk. For a sweeter milk, add pure maple syrup, honey (for non vegans) or pureed dates. For vanilla milk, add the bean and scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean or ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste. For cinnamon milk, add 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup and ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019