- 1 cup almonds, cashews, hazelnuts or pecans
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 25 centimetre piece muslin
- 1Place nuts in a large bowl; cover with cold water. Stand, covered for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2Drain; rinse nuts under cold water. Drain well. Process nuts with the water until smooth.
- 3Place a medium sieve over a medium bowl; line with muslin. Strain milk through muslin. Place milk into a glass jar and refrigerate.
Save nut pulp, dry it out in a slow oven, and use for cereal toppings or add to curries and pastes. Using blanched almonds will create a whiter-coloured milk. Using a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, will create a smoother-textured milk. For a sweeter milk, add pure maple syrup, honey (for non vegans) or pureed dates. For vanilla milk, add the bean and scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean or ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste. For cinnamon milk, add 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup and ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeAug 23, 2019
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019