- 1 litre (4 cups) rice milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1Heat milk in a medium saucepan over a low heat until hot.
- 2Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture thickens slightly, although it will not coat the back of the spoon. Cool.
- 3Return to the saucepan, cook, stirring, over medium heat, without boiling, for about 8-10 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Run a finger through the custard on the back of the spoon - it should hold its shape. Immediately remove from the heat.
- 4Pour the flavoured custard into a shallow container and freeze for about 3 hours or until almost frozen. Spoon the almost frozen mixture into a medium bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high speed for about 4-5 minutes or until smooth and thick. Pour the mixture into a deep 1.5-litre (6-cup) container; cover and freeze at least 6 hours or overnight until firm.
- 5Serve gelato scooped into cones, if desired.
Test Kitchen tips: Gelato made using an ice-cream churn will give you more volume as it aerates whilst it is churning and chilling. For best taste and texture, use gelato within two weeks.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mixed berry clafoutisYesterday 12:14am
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019
- Berry and coconut chia puddingAug 07, 2019
- 22 pasta recipesAug 07, 2019
- Roast vegetable spelt pastaAug 06, 2019
- 10 easy bread recipesAug 06, 2019
- Slow-cooked lamb with braised green beansAug 06, 2019
- Chicken dinner recipesAug 06, 2019