- 375 grams casarecce or other pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch kale, leaves picked, torn
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (115g) raw cashews
- ⅓ cup (25g) nutritional yeast flakes
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 rindless bacon slices (260g), chopped finely OR
- 1 cup (150g) frozen broad (fava) beans, thawed, peeled OR
- 150 grams smoked salmon slices
- 1To make dairy-free parmesan, process cashews, nutritional yeast, sea salt and garlic powder into a fine meal, similar in consistency to finely grated parmesan cheese (see tips).
- 2Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender. Drain; reserve ¼ cup cooking liquid. Return pasta to pan.
- 3Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. If your choice of protein is bacon, cook for 5 minutes or until starting to crisp. Add garlic and kale to pan; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add peas. If your choice of protein is broad beans, add to pan too. Cook, stirring, until heated through.
- 4Combine egg yolks and ¾ cup of the dairy-free parmesan in a small bowl.
- 5Add kale mixture, egg mixture and reserved cooking liquid
to pasta; stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- 6Divide pasta mixture among plates or bowls. If your choice of protein is smoked salmon, divide among plates too. Serve with remaining parmesan.
If you'd prefer to use regular parmesan, use ¾ cup (100g) finely grated parmesan in step 4, then serve with regular parmesan
in step 6. Store dairy-free parmesan in an airtight container in the fridge
for up to 2 months. Use as you would regular parmesan.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraToday 6:37am
- Spring rollsToday 1:55am
- Mussels in tomato sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai spring rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Almond caramel barsYesterday 2:00pm
- Air fryer vegetable spring rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our 23 best toastie recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- TabboulehYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- 24 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- Beef WellingtonYesterday 12:27am
- 20 delicious desserts with canned pineapplesSep 22, 2021
- 37 fabulous frittatasSep 22, 2021