- 375 grams casarecce or other pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch kale, leaves picked, torn
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (115g) raw cashews
- ⅓ cup (25g) nutritional yeast flakes
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 rindless bacon slices (260g), chopped finely OR
- 1 cup (150g) frozen broad (fava) beans, thawed, peeled OR
- 150 grams smoked salmon slices
- 1To make dairy-free parmesan, process cashews, nutritional yeast, sea salt and garlic powder into a fine meal, similar in consistency to finely grated parmesan cheese (see tips).
- 2Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender. Drain; reserve ¼ cup cooking liquid. Return pasta to pan.
- 3Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. If your choice of protein is bacon, cook for 5 minutes or until starting to crisp. Add garlic and kale to pan; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add peas. If your choice of protein is broad beans, add to pan too. Cook, stirring, until heated through.
- 4Combine egg yolks and ¾ cup of the dairy-free parmesan in a small bowl.
- 5Add kale mixture, egg mixture and reserved cooking liquid
to pasta; stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- 6Divide pasta mixture among plates or bowls. If your choice of protein is smoked salmon, divide among plates too. Serve with remaining parmesan.
If you'd prefer to use regular parmesan, use ¾ cup (100g) finely grated parmesan in step 4, then serve with regular parmesan
in step 6. Store dairy-free parmesan in an airtight container in the fridge
for up to 2 months. Use as you would regular parmesan.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021