You'll love this vegetarian cottage pie with curried lentils, from it's vegie-packed base to it's crunchy sweet potato topping.
Curried lentil cottage pie
- 1 cup (200g) dried French-style green lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion (300g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped
- 1 celery stalk (150g), trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium red capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), chopped
- 2 medium zucchini (240g), sliced
- 200 grams cauliflower, cut into florets
- 800 grams canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 800 grams kumara (orange sweet potato), chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup (125g) coarsely grated gruyère cheese
- 1Cook lentils in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until just tender (do not overcook or they will be mushy). Drain.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 10 minutes or until soft and golden. Add garlic and spices; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add carrot, celery, capsicum, zucchini, cauliflower, tomatoes, the water and currants; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in lentils.
- 3Meanwhile, boil, steam and microwave kumara until soft; drain. Mash until smooth; stir through half the combined cheeses.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 5Spoon lentil mixture into a 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) oval ovenproof dish. Top with kumara mash, sprinkle with remaining combined cheeses. Bake pie for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Don't overcook lentils in step 1 as they will continue to cook when baked.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apricot bliss ballsDec 07, 2021
- Cute canapes to start your dinner partyDec 07, 2021
- Perfect Christmas finger food recipesDec 07, 2021
- 31 tasty ways to use your leftover Christmas hamDec 07, 2021
- Chicken and lemon risottoDec 07, 2021
- Rice-cooker bibimbapDec 07, 2021
- 10 recipes to make your Christmas stress-freeDec 06, 2021
- Our best shepherd's pieDec 06, 2021
- Nougat semifreddo in white chcocolate conesDec 06, 2021
- Yum-yum dan dan noodlesDec 06, 2021
- Stained glass biscottiDec 06, 2021
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsDec 06, 2021
- 19 turkey recipes for the festive seasonDec 06, 2021