- 1 1/2 cup (300g) dried black turtle beans
- 1 (1kg) ham hock
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large_piece (200g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium_piece (200g) red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 litre (8 cups) water
- 3 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 large_piece (220g) tomato, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander (cilantro), coarsely chopped
- 1Place beans in a medium bowl, cover with cold water, stand overnight.
- 2Drain and rinse beans, place in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, 15 minutes, drain.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced).
- 4Roast ham on oven tray for 30 minutes.
- 5Heat oil in a large frying pan, cook onion, capsicum and garlic, stirring, until onion is soft. Add cumin and chilli, cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- 6Combine beans, ham, onion mixture, tomatoes, the water, oregano and pepper in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 7Remove ham from cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone; shred coarsely. Discard skin, fat and bone. Cool soup 10 minutes, then blend or process 2 cups soup mixture until smooth. Return meat to cooker with pureed soup, stir in juice and tomato; sprinkle with coriander. Season to taste.
Black beans, also known as black turtle beans, have long been a staple food in Latin America and South America. They are commonly used in soups and stews, and are an extremely good source of antioxidants. They have a meaty, dense texture and a flavour similar to mushrooms. To freeze Complete the recipe to the end of step 6. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm (1 inch) space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Red lentil and pumpkin wrapsToday 1:44am
- 30 quick and easy recipesYesterday 11:46pm
- Blackberry parfaitYesterday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesJul 21, 2019
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019