- 1 1/2 cup (300g) dried black turtle beans
- 1 (1kg) ham hock
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large_piece (200g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium_piece (200g) red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400 gram (12½ ounces) canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 litre (8 cups) water
- 3 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 large_piece (220g) tomato, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander (cilantro), coarsely chopped
- 1Place beans in a medium bowl, cover with cold water, stand overnight.
- 2Drain and rinse beans, place in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, 15 minutes, drain.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced).
- 4Roast ham on oven tray for 30 minutes.
- 5Heat oil in a large frying pan, cook onion, capsicum and garlic, stirring, until onion is soft. Add cumin and chilli, cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- 6Combine beans, ham, onion mixture, tomatoes, the water, oregano and pepper in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 7Remove ham from cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone; shred coarsely. Discard skin, fat and bone. Cool soup 10 minutes, then blend or process 2 cups soup mixture until smooth. Return meat to cooker with pureed soup, stir in juice and tomato; sprinkle with coriander. Season to taste.
Black beans, also known as black turtle beans, have long been a staple food in Latin America and South America. They are commonly used in soups and stews, and are an extremely good source of antioxidants. They have a meaty, dense texture and a flavour similar to mushrooms. To freeze Complete the recipe to the end of step 6. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm (1 inch) space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021