- 1.5 kilogram chicken wings
- 1 cup (150g) cornflour
- 1 teaspoon chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- peanut or vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 teaspoon cornflour, extra
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup (175g) honey
- toasted sesame seeds, for serving
- 1Cut chicken wings through joints into 3 pieces. Reserve the tips for use in stock or discard.
- 2In a large bowl, combine corn flour, five spice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss the chicken pieces in the flour mixture; shake away excess flour.
- 3Heat the oil in a large pan or deep fryer to 180°C. Fry the chicken in two batches, for about 6 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper. Transfer to an oven tray; place in slow oven to keep warm.
- 4Meanwhile, blend the extra corn flour with soy sauce until smooth. Place in a pan with 1/4 cup water and honey; cook, stirring, until boiling. Remove from the heat.
- 5Arrange the chicken on a platter, pour over the honey sauce; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with steamed rice and Asian greens.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm