Crisp tofu banh mi
- 1 medium carrot (120g), cut into matchsticks
- 1 small lebanese cucumber (100g), halved, seeded, cut into batons
- 3 trimmed red radishes (45g), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup (125ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (100g) vegan mayo
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 fresh long green chilli, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 300 gram (9½ ounces) firm tofu, cut into 8 long slices
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 long wholegrain sourdough bread rolls (200g), split (see tips)
- 1 1/2 cup (120g) shredded red cabbage
- hot chilli sauce, to taste
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, extra
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
Crisp tofu banh mi
- 1Place carrot, cucumber and radish in a medium bowl. Pour vinegar over vegetables; sprinkle with coconut sugar and salt. Stir to combine.
- 2Blend or process mayo, coriander and half the fresh chilli until smooth.
- 3Place cornflour on a plate. Toss tofu in cornflour to coat. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook tofu, turning, until golden and heated through.
- 4Drain vegetables; reserve pickling liquid for another use (see tips).
- 5Divide cabbage, pickled vegetables, tofu, mayo mixture, chilli sauce, extra coriander, mint and remaining fresh chilli between bread rolls.
Check the bread rolls are free from dairy products. The leftover pickling liquid can be used in place of vinegar in salad dressings; keep refrigerated in a glass jar for several months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019
- Pea and ham soupJun 04, 2019
- Embrace eggplant with these 10 tasty recipesJun 03, 2019