Crisp tofu banh mi
- 1 medium carrot (120g), cut into matchsticks
- 1 small lebanese cucumber (100g), halved, seeded, cut into batons
- 3 trimmed red radishes (45g), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup (125ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (100g) vegan mayo
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 fresh long green chilli, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 300 gram (9½ ounces) firm tofu, cut into 8 long slices
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 long wholegrain sourdough bread rolls (200g), split (see tips)
- 1 1/2 cup (120g) shredded red cabbage
- hot chilli sauce, to taste
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, extra
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
Crisp tofu banh mi
- 1Place carrot, cucumber and radish in a medium bowl. Pour vinegar over vegetables; sprinkle with coconut sugar and salt. Stir to combine.
- 2Blend or process mayo, coriander and half the fresh chilli until smooth.
- 3Place cornflour on a plate. Toss tofu in cornflour to coat. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook tofu, turning, until golden and heated through.
- 4Drain vegetables; reserve pickling liquid for another use (see tips).
- 5Divide cabbage, pickled vegetables, tofu, mayo mixture, chilli sauce, extra coriander, mint and remaining fresh chilli between bread rolls.
Check the bread rolls are free from dairy products. The leftover pickling liquid can be used in place of vinegar in salad dressings; keep refrigerated in a glass jar for several months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chilli barbecued haloumi recipe with zucchini saladYesterday 4:00pm
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceMar 21, 2019
- Pommes AnnaMar 20, 2019
- Chocolate Easter frecklesMar 20, 2019
- Noughts and crosses chocolate chip easter bunsMar 20, 2019
- 7 creative ways to take damper to the next levelMar 19, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsMar 18, 2019
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019