- 2.5 kg Sebago or Dutch Cream potatoes
- vegetable oil, for roasting
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped finely
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C (180° fan-forced). Peel potatoes; cut in half, or in quarters if they're large – just make sure the pieces are evenly sized so they cook at the same time. Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Boil for around 15 minutes or until the cut edges are just starting to soften, and a knife or skewer goes easily into the potato. Don't cook any further than this or the potatoes will fall apart.
- 2Meanwhile, put about 1cm of vegetable oil into a roasting pan. Place the pan in the oven until the oil is hot. Drain the potatoes very well. It is critical that they are dry.
- 3Very carefully lower the potatoes into the hot oil. Gently turn them, so that the whole surface area of each potato has a coating of oil. Place the pan back in the oven and cook for about 1 hour, turning the potatoes once or twice, until they are crisp and golden brown.
- 4In a small bowl, combine the salt, rosemary and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Drain potatoes on paper towels. Sprinkle with rosemary salt while still hot.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.Julie's tip: If you are a more organised cook than I am, you could boil the potatoes the day before they are needed and keep them uncovered in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJan 16, 2020
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoJan 16, 2020
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceJan 16, 2020
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020
- Three-ingredient plum tartJan 15, 2020
- Linguine with garlic prawnsJan 15, 2020
- Lamb kofta with yoghurtJan 15, 2020
- Scone recipesJan 15, 2020