- 2.5 kg Sebago or Dutch Cream potatoes
- vegetable oil, for roasting
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped finely
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C (180° fan-forced). Peel potatoes; cut in half, or in quarters if they're large – just make sure the pieces are evenly sized so they cook at the same time. Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Boil for around 15 minutes or until the cut edges are just starting to soften, and a knife or skewer goes easily into the potato. Don't cook any further than this or the potatoes will fall apart.
- 2Meanwhile, put about 1cm of vegetable oil into a roasting pan. Place the pan in the oven until the oil is hot. Drain the potatoes very well. It is critical that they are dry.
- 3Very carefully lower the potatoes into the hot oil. Gently turn them, so that the whole surface area of each potato has a coating of oil. Place the pan back in the oven and cook for about 1 hour, turning the potatoes once or twice, until they are crisp and golden brown.
- 4In a small bowl, combine the salt, rosemary and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Drain potatoes on paper towels. Sprinkle with rosemary salt while still hot.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.Julie's tip: If you are a more organised cook than I am, you could boil the potatoes the day before they are needed and keep them uncovered in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeToday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 10:21pm
- What food is in season in May?Yesterday 2:00pm
- Sensational sweet tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect panna cotta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Baked cauliflowerYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021