- 2.5 kg Sebago or Dutch Cream potatoes
- vegetable oil, for roasting
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped finely
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C (180° fan-forced). Peel potatoes; cut in half, or in quarters if they're large – just make sure the pieces are evenly sized so they cook at the same time. Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Boil for around 15 minutes or until the cut edges are just starting to soften, and a knife or skewer goes easily into the potato. Don't cook any further than this or the potatoes will fall apart.
- 2Meanwhile, put about 1cm of vegetable oil into a roasting pan. Place the pan in the oven until the oil is hot. Drain the potatoes very well. It is critical that they are dry.
- 3Very carefully lower the potatoes into the hot oil. Gently turn them, so that the whole surface area of each potato has a coating of oil. Place the pan back in the oven and cook for about 1 hour, turning the potatoes once or twice, until they are crisp and golden brown.
- 4In a small bowl, combine the salt, rosemary and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Drain potatoes on paper towels. Sprinkle with rosemary salt while still hot.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.Julie's tip: If you are a more organised cook than I am, you could boil the potatoes the day before they are needed and keep them uncovered in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020