- 1 litre (4 cups) cream
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 12 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar, extra
- orange segments, for serving
- 1Preheat the oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced).
- 2Combine the cream, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until just below a simmer; remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- 3Place egg yolks in large bowl; gently whisk in cream mixture, trying not to create too many air bubbles. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a jug.
- 4Place 6 x 300ml capacity shallow dishes into a large baking dish lined with a tea towel on the base (you may need to cook in 2 medium baking dishes). Half fill the dishes with the cream mixture. Place the baking dish into the oven; finish filling the dishes with the cream mixture. Pour hot water into the baking dish to come half way up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 40 minutes or until set with a slight wobble.
- 5Remove the brûlées from the baking dish and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- 6Just before serving, sprinkle 1½ tablespoons of sugar over the surface of each brûlée. Using a blowtorch, heat until the sugar is evenly golden brown.
This dish is a perfect make-ahead dessert.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019