Translated literally, "crème brûlée" simply means "burned cream". And while that might be technically what's happening, we can't help but think this humble dessert benefited greatly from having a name with a little French flair.
- 1 litre (4 cups) cream
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 12 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar, extra
- orange segments, for serving
- 1Preheat the oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced).
- 2Combine the cream, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until just below a simmer; remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- 3Place egg yolks in large bowl; gently whisk in cream mixture, trying not to create too many air bubbles. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a jug.
- 4Place 6 x 300ml capacity shallow dishes into a large baking dish lined with a tea towel on the base (you may need to cook in 2 medium baking dishes). Half fill the dishes with the cream mixture. Place the baking dish into the oven; finish filling the dishes with the cream mixture. Pour hot water into the baking dish to come half way up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 40 minutes or until set with a slight wobble.
- 5Remove the brûlées from the baking dish and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- 6Just before serving, sprinkle 1½ tablespoons of sugar over the surface of each brûlée. Using a blowtorch, heat until the sugar is evenly golden brown.
This dish is a perfect make-ahead dessert.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesToday 1:55am
- Easy Spanish paella recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy pastry twistsYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato Salad RecipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lasagne recipe collectionYesterday 2:00pm
- Brilliant broccoli recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Broccoli and kale soup with lemon creme fraicheYesterday 1:59am
- Classic sconesYesterday 1:35am
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeAug 04, 2020
- Homemade pastyAug 04, 2020
- Pork ribs with sticky barbecue sauceAug 04, 2020
- Tangy lemon squaresAug 04, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesAug 04, 2020
- 27 comforting custard dessertsAug 04, 2020
- Anzac biscuit recipesAug 04, 2020
- Traditional beef casseroleAug 04, 2020