- 3 cups (750mL) thickened cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 8 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 100°C(do not use the fan-function in your oven). Place six ¾-cup (180ml) shallow ovenproof dishes dishes on an oven tray.
- 2Place cream, vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan; bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks and ¹⁄³ cup (75g) of the sugar in a medium bowl until combined. While whisking, gradually pour hot cream into egg mixture until combined. Strain mixture through a fine sieve over a jug. Skim off any foam from the surface. Pour cream mixture into dishes.
- 3Bake for 1 hour or until set around edges but the centre is still wobbly. Cool for 30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate overnight or until set.
- 4Sprinkle remaining sugar evenly over the top of each brûlée. Using a kitchen blowtorch, heat the sugar until it melts and forms a golden caramel. Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
This dish is a perfect make-ahead dessert. You will need to start this recipe a day ahead.Cooking the crème brûlée at a lower temperature means that you don't need to put it in a water bath. If you don't have a kitchen blowtorch, place the dishes under a hot grill (broiler) until the sugar caramelises.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef WellingtonToday 12:27am
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Duxelles-filled lamb leg with roast vegetablesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am
- Rhubarb and vanilla baked custardYesterday 2:44am
- Cottage pieMay 23, 2022
- Cheesy vegetable pasta bakeMay 23, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaMay 23, 2022
- Shortbread buttonsMay 23, 2022
- 20 sensational schnitzelsMay 23, 2022
- Winter vegetable bake with tahini-seed crumbleMay 23, 2022
- Italian chicken schnitzelMay 23, 2022