- 1/4 cup (35g) unsalted cashews
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 500 gram yogurt
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 centimetre (10g) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 kilogram chicken thigh fillets, diced into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium_piece (300g) brown onions, sliced thinly
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (15g) flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup (50g) unsalted cashews, extra
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, loosely packed
- 1Process nuts and sesame seeds until ground finely. Combine nut mixture with yogurt, garlic, ginger, chilli and turmeric in large bowl, add chicken, toss to coat in marinade. Cover, refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- 2Heat oil in large saucepan, cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add chicken mixture. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Using mortar and pestle, crush cardamom, cloves and cumin seeds.
- 4Add spice mixture, cinnamon and juice to chicken mixture, cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- 5Meanwhile, cook coconut and extra nuts in small frying pan, stirring, until browned lightly. Remove from heat, stir in kalonji seeds.
- 6Discard cinnamon from curry, serve curry, sprinkled with coconut mixture and coriander, accompanied by steamed basmati rice, if desired.
Also known as nigella, kalonji are angular purple- black seeds which are a creamy colour inside and possess a sharp, nutty taste. They are the seeds sprinkled over the top of freshly made pide, Turkish bread, that give it a special sharp, peppery flavour. Kalonji are found in spice shops and Middle-Eastern and Asian food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021