Creamed corn on toast
- 2 teaspoon low-fat spread
- 1/2 small red onion (50g), chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 small corn cobs (380g), kernels removed
- 1/3 cup (80ml) skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 eggs
- 2 x 40g (1½-ounce) slices soy and linseed bread, toasted
Green chilli relish
- 2 teaspoon rice bran oil
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white (granulated) sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped seeded fresh jalapeño chillies (see tips)
- 1 small green onion (scallion), chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
Creamed corn and green chilli relish on toast
- 1Make green chilli relish; combine ingredients, except the coriander, in a small bowl. Stir in the coriander just before serving.
- 2Melt spread in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add corn and milk to pan; season. Cover, simmer for 12 minutes or until corn is tender. Reserve ¼ cup (60ml) of the liquid; drain corn mixture. Transfer corn and reserved liquid to a small food processor; process until pureed. Transfer to a medium bowl, stir in rind; cover to keep warm.
- 3Meanwhile, half-fill a large shallow frying pan with water; bring to the boil. Break 1 egg into a cup, then slide into pan; repeat with remaining egg. When both eggs are in the pan, allow water to return to the boil. Cover pan, turn off heat; stand for 4 minutes or until a light film of egg white sets over yolks. Using a slotted spoon remove eggs, one at a time, from pan; drain on kitchen paper.
- 4Accompany each serving of corn with a poached egg, relish and one slice of toast.
You will need about 2 jalapeños (60g). If you can’t find fresh, use bottled, chopped jalapeños. The relish is also great served with barbecued beef, chicken or lamb.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019