Cream of chicken soup with parmesan cheese croûtons
- 1.8 kilogram whole chicken
- 1 (150g) brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (120g) carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 (100g) stalk celery, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 8 cup (2l) water
- 4 cup (1l) chicken stock
- 40 gram butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pouring cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (150g) french bread stick, cut in 2cm slices
- 1/2 cup (40g) coarsely grated parmesan cheese
Cream of chicken soup with parmesancheesecroûtons
- 1Place chicken, onion, carrot and celery in large saucepan with water and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 1½ hours. Remove chicken from pan; simmer broth, covered, 30 minutes.
- 2Strain broth through muslin-lined sieve or colander into large heatproof bowl. Set solids aside for another use.
- 3Melt butter in large saucepan. Add flour and stir until mixture bubbles and thickens. Gradually stir in broth and juice; bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid off for about 25 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- 4Remove from heat. Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken; shred meat coarsely. Add chicken and cream to soup; stir over heat, without boiling, until soup is heated through.
- 5Meanwhile, to make parmesan cheese croûtons, preheat grill. Toast bread on one side then turn and sprinkle with cheese. Grill croûtons until cheese browns lightly.
- 6Serve bowls of soup with croûtons; sprinkle with parsley.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021