- 30 gram (1 ounce) compressed yeast
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lukewarm milk
- 4 cup (600g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 60 gram (2 ounces) butter
- 1 cup (250ml) lukewarm water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water, extra
- 3/4 cup (240g) raspberry jam
- 300 millilitre thickened cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 1Combine yeast and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in a small jug; stir in milk. Stand 10 minutes or until frothy.
- 2Sift flour and remaining sugar into a large bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre, add yeast mixture and the water; mix to a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 5 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl; cover, stand in a warm place 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Grease two oven trays.
- 4Punch dough down in bowl. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 5 minutes. Divide dough into 12 even portions. Knead each portion into a round. Place rounds on trays, allowing room for spreading. Stand in a warm place 10 minutes or until half-doubled in size.
- 5Brush buns with combined egg yolk and extra water. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven to (160°C fan-forced); bake further 15 minutes or until golden brown. Place buns on a wire rack to cool.
- 6Split buns, fill with jam and cream. Dust buns with sifted icing sugar.
You can substitute dry yeast for compressed yeast; you will need to use 4 teaspoons.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Aromatic Vietnamese beef curryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chicken parmigianaYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella TiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Pad ThaiYesterday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansYesterday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesYesterday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesYesterday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceYesterday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesJan 26, 2021