We've gone old-school with this cream bun recipe that comes studded with sultanas.
- 2 teaspoon (7g) dry yeast
- 4 cup (600g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 90 gram (3 ounces) butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup (55g) sultanas
- 1 cup (250ml) warm water
- 1 tablespoon milk, extra
- 1/4 cup (80g) raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatine
- 1 tablespoon caster(superfine)sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 250 (8 ounces) butter, softened
- 2 vanilla extract
- 1 caster (superfine) sugar
- 1Combine yeast, 1 teaspoon of the flour, 1 teaspoon of the sugar and all the warm milk in small bowl. Cover; stand in a warm place about 10 minutes or until frothy.
- 2Sift remaining flour and spice into large bowl, stir in remaining sugar. Rub in butter, then stir in sultanas. Stir in yeast mixture and water; mix to a soft dough.
- 3Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Place dough large greased bowl, cover; stand in a warm place for about 40minutes or until doubled in size.
- 4Knead dough on floured surface until smooth; divide dough into 12 portions. Knead portions into balls; place on greased oven trays. Stand dough, uncovered, in warm place about 15 minutes or until well risen. Brush evenly with extra milk.
- 5Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 6Bake buns 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C/350°F. Bake buns a further 10 minutes.
- 7Make glaze by sprinkling gelatine and sugar over water in heatproof cup, stand in small pan of simmering water; stir until dissolved. Brush hot buns with hot glaze; cool on wire racks.
- 8For mock cream, beat ingredients in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Remove bowl from mixer; cover butter mixture with cold water, swirl around bowl for 1 minute, pour off water. Repeat washing and beating about six times, until mixture is white in colour and sugar dissolved.
- 9Split cold buns; fill with jam. Pipe or spoon cream into buns; top with more jam. Dust tops with sifted icing sugar, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020