- 3 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (200g), chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500 grams minced beef
- 2 cups (500ml) tomato puree
- 2⁄3 cup (160ml) dry red wine
- ¼ cup (60ml) worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup (60g) frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 kilogram potatoes, chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (120g) sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease a 6-hole (¾-cup/180ml) texas muffin pan.
- 2Using a 13cm (5in) cutter, cut two rounds from each pastry sheet. Lift pastry rounds into pan holes; press into base and side. Prick bases with a fork.
- 3Bake pastry cases for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Increase heat to high, add beef; cook, stirring occasionally, breaking up lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in puree, wine, sauce and thyme; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 25 minutes or until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Stir in peas and parsley. Season to taste.
- 5Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave potato until tender; drain. Mash potato in a large bowl with sour cream and egg yolks until well combined; season.
- 6Preheat grill.
- 7Place muffin pan on an oven tray. Spoon beef mixture into pastry cases; top with mashed potato. Grill for 5 minutes or until heated through and potato is browned lightly.
For a flakier pastry case, use puff pastry instead of the shortcrust pastry.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chicken rissolesNov 30, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceNov 30, 2021
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 30, 2021
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 29, 2021
- Four ways with stuffingNov 29, 2021
- Festive walnut shortbreadNov 29, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchNov 29, 2021
- Our best-ever chicken burgerNov 29, 2021