- 2 kilogram piece of corned beef
- bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- black peppercorns
- 8-10 small potatoes, peeled and washed
- 5 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
- half a head of cabbage, sliced finely
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 white onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large, deep-sided saucepan cover the meat with cold water, adding the bay leaf, sugar and peppercorns. Bring to the boil then simmer for 1 hour and 10 minutes, skimming the surface of the broth if scum appears. Add the potatoes, and simmer for a further 20 minutes, or until the meat is tender. Lift the meat and set it to rest for 15 minutes.
- 2In the same water as the potatoes, add the carrots and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes or until tender, but not soggy. Drain the vegetables and serve with the sliced corned beef, topped with hot white onion sauce. The vegetables should be dabbed with butter and seasoned to taste.
White onion sauce
- 3For the white sauce, half fill a small saucepan with water and add the chopped until. Boil until translucent and tender (but not mushy). Drain the onions into a separate bowl, and keep the liquid.
- 4Melt the butter in the saucepan, and then stir in the flour until combined and cook, stirring, for two minutes. This helps to prevent a floury taste. Add the milk slowly, stirring with a wooden spoon, to make a smooth, lump-free sauce.
- 5Return the onions to the sauce and cook for a few more minutes, thinning with some of the reserved water from boiling the onions, if the sauce gets thick. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately over sliced corned beef and vegetables.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistYesterday 2:51am
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeYesterday 2:31am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 2:02am
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019