- 1 1/4 cups (210g) fine instant polenta
- ¾ cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ cups (375ml) buttermilk
- 100 butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 (160g) corn kernels (see tips)
- 1½ (180g) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 2 long red chillies, seeded, sliced thinly
- 1 green onion, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Butter a 13cm x 23.5cm (top measurement) loaf pan; dust with a little polenta.
- 2Combine remaining polenta, the flour and soda in a large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, butter and eggs in a jug. Whisk buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients; stir in corn, cheese, chopped green onion and chilli. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Pour mixture into loaf pan; top with extra green onion lengthways.
- 4Bake cornbread for 45 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake for a further 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022