Looking for more chicken casseroles?
- 750 grams (1½ pounds) spring onions
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 6 rindless bacon slices (390g), chopped coarsely
- 310 grams (10½ ounces) button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 chicken thigh fillets (880g)
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 cups (500ml) dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1Trim green ends from onions, leaving about 4cm (1½ inches) of stem attached; trim roots.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large frying pan; cook onions, stirring, until browned all over. Remove from pan.
- 3Cook bacon, mushrooms and garlic in same pan, stirring, until bacon is crisp. Remove from pan.
- 4Coat chicken in flour; shake off excess. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook chicken, in batches, until browned all over. Remove from pan; drain on absorbent paper.
- 5Return chicken to pan with wine, stock, paste, bay leaves, herbs, onions and bacon mixture. Bring to the boil; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened slightly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chicken satay skewers with crunchy saladJan 14, 2021
- Grilled vegetable and ricotta stackJan 14, 2021
- Lemon sliceJan 14, 2021
- Acai breakfast bowlJan 14, 2021
- LabneJan 14, 2021
- Classic mashed potatoesJan 14, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpJan 14, 2021
- Canned tuna recipesJan 14, 2021
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamJan 14, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceJan 14, 2021
- Baba ghanoushJan 13, 2021
- Mince and rice stuffed capsicumsJan 13, 2021
- The ultimate collection of tasty dipsJan 13, 2021
- ShortbreadJan 13, 2021