Looking for more chicken casseroles?
- 750 grams (1½ pounds) spring onions
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 6 rindless bacon slices (390g), chopped coarsely
- 310 grams (10½ ounces) button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 chicken thigh fillets (880g)
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 cups (500ml) dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1Trim green ends from onions, leaving about 4cm (1½ inches) of stem attached; trim roots.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large frying pan; cook onions, stirring, until browned all over. Remove from pan.
- 3Cook bacon, mushrooms and garlic in same pan, stirring, until bacon is crisp. Remove from pan.
- 4Coat chicken in flour; shake off excess. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook chicken, in batches, until browned all over. Remove from pan; drain on absorbent paper.
- 5Return chicken to pan with wine, stock, paste, bay leaves, herbs, onions and bacon mixture. Bring to the boil; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened slightly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Roast pork with apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 1:00pm
- Savoury apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- MayonnaiseYesterday 1:00pm
- 32 amazing ways with applesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 1:00pm
- Jerk chickensYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Ice blocks and popsicles to cool you downOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021