- 3 cup (750ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (65g) roasted coffee beans
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 75 gram butter, chopped
- 3 (sheets) puff pastry
- 155 gram dark eating (semi-sweet) chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 30 gram butter
- 1Grease 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) rectangular pan, line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2 inches) over sides.
- 2Bring milk and beans almost to the boil in medium saucepan, remove from heat. Stand 45 minutes.
- 3Whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in large bowl until combined. Bring milk mixture almost to the boil, whisk into egg mixture until smooth. Strain over large saucepan,discard beans. Cook over high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat, whisk in butter until combined. Spread custard onto plastic wrap lined tray. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap, refrigerate until cold.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat oven to 240°C (220°C fan forced).
- 5Place each pastry sheet on separate greased oven trays. Bake about 15 minutes or until puffed and browned lightly, cool. Flatten pastry with hand, line base of pan with pastry, trimming to fit.
- 6Spread custard over pastry in pan. Top with remaining pastry, trimming to fit, press down slightly.
- 7Make chocolate glaze. Stir chocolate and butter in small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Pour glaze over pastry, refrigerate until set.
chocolate glaze This slice is best eaten on the day it is made as the pastry goes soggy. You can make the coffee custard the day before; beat custard with an electric mixer to soften before assembling the slice. Use the egg whites by making the egg-white omelettes (see recipe p52) or pavlovas (see recipes p182 & 184).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022