Coffee creme brulee
- 2 1/3 cup (600ml) thickened cream
- 1 cup (90g) whole coffee beans
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup (40g) pure icing sugar
Coffee creme brulee
- 1Preheat oven to moderately slow (160°C/140°C fan-forced). Grease 4 x 1/2 cup (125ml) ovenproof dishes.
- 2Heat cream and coffee beans in a pan until hot. Cool, then refrigerate until cold.
- 3Whisk egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla in a large heatproof bowl; gradually whisk in cream mixture. Place bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water; stir over heat for 10 minutes or until custard mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Strain custard into a jug; discard coffee beans.
- 4Place dishes in a baking dish; divide custard among dishes. Add enough boiling water to baking dish to come halfway up sides of ovenproof dishes. Bake, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until custards set Remove custards from dish; cool. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- 5Sprinkle custards with sifted icing sugar. Using your finger, spread sugar evenly over the surface of each custard, pressing in gently. Wipe rims of dishes clean. Using a small blow torch, heat sugar until melted and browned. Or, preheat grill. Place custards in a shallow flameproof dish filled with ice cubes (to keep custards cold); grill until tops of custards caramelise.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022