There's something special about this light and refreshing dessert with coconut milk, lychees and tapioca pearls that's the perfect end to any meal.
- 1 cup (200g) seed tapioca (sago)
- 400 ml canned coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- ⅓ cup (75g) raw caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 fresh lychees, peeled, seeds removed, torn
- ½ cup thinly sliced young coconut flesh
- 1 medium lime (90g)
- 4 white edible flowers, optional
- 1Place tapioca in a large bowl with enough cold water to cover. Stand for 2 hours. Drain. Rinse well; drain.
- 2Meanwhile, stir coconut milk, the water, sugar, rind and vanilla in a medium saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a simmer; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool. Refrigerate until cold.
- 3Add tapioca to a medium saucepan of boiling water; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until tapioca is clear. Drain well. Stir tapioca into coconut milk mixture.
- 4Divide tapioca mixture into bowls or glasses; top with lychees and coconut flesh. Finely grate rind from the lime, sprinkle on puddings; top with flowers.
Seed tapioca is a starch extract, made from the tubers of the cassava plant. You can substitute with sago, a similar product from sago palms.Puddings can be made a day ahead; keep refrigerated.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021