- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon coconut essence
- 30 gram (1 ounce) butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Mark two 9cm (3½-inch) rounds on baking paper. Grease oven tray; line with the baking paper, marked-side down.
- 2Whisk egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually whisk in sugar, beating until dissolved between additions. Fold in sifted flour, essence, butter and rind.
- 3Spoon one level tablespoon of mixture into the centre of each round on oven tray, spread mixture evenly with the back on the spoon to cover the marked rounds completely; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon coconut.
- 4Bake cookies 5 minutes or until browned around the edge.
- 5Working quickly, loosen cookies from the tray, place a message in the centre of each cookie; fold in half, then place flat side over the edge of a glass and pull points down gently to curve the cookie . Leave over the glass for 30 seconds, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Celebrate Chinese New Year with a special message for your friends and family. Cut 12 paper strips measuring 1.5cm x 8cm (¾-inch x 3¼-inch); write a message on each strip. Do this before starting to make the cookies. If the cookie cools and hardens too quickly before you have time to shape it, return it, on the tray, to the oven for 15-30 seconds to soften it again.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic Christmas trifleToday 6:13am
- 10 sweet festive favouritesToday 4:00am
- How to make honeycomb from scratchToday 12:29am
- Apple pieToday 12:29am
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Fresh apricot jamYesterday 8:00pm
- PikeletsYesterday 5:00pm
- Vegetarian pasta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealYesterday 1:00pm
- Green saladYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 brilliant blinis to share with friendsYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky date puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Panettone tiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Potato bakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Breakfast recipes for Christmas morningYesterday 1:00pm